“Real men don’t cook” and “the way to a man’s heart is through his stomach” are clichés that have been tossed out by the modern male who is both kitchen savvy and eager to show off his incredible array of cooking skills.
Women love a man who has talents ranging from the sports field to the bedroom and to the kitchen. Men have numerous opportunities to show off their culinary know how and should take advantage of several key moments in order to fully secure his title as the modern male.
Ten Ways Real Men Show They Can Cook
- The morning after breakfast. She was amazed last night, so don’t blow it with stale coffee and powdered donuts. Every man should have a quality coffee maker, and ideally an espresso machine. Make her a double shot, slice some fresh fruit and plate it with a homemade omelet. None of this is labor intensive or challenging, but looks like a gourmet brunch.
- A signature cocktail is not some atrocious fruity creation with a plastic accessory floating in it. Perfect making a classic cocktail and when at a group gathering blow everyone away with the simple elegance of a properly made manhattan or martini. You sir, are now on par with James Bond.
- Having an in at a local restaurant is a sure fire way to impress a date. Suggest the best dishes, have your usual waiter take care of you, and if the chef checks in on you, you have sealed the deal.
- The first time meeting her parents, bring her dad a handcrafted limited edition bottle of his favorite spirit. He will immediately know you are a classy guy, and may even develop a small man crush.
- Sunday sports events do not have to include pizza and chips. Slow roast a pig on a spit, or braise ribs for a more upscale take on game day gastronomy.
- A well-stocked kitchen shows how you eat even when she’s not around. Fresh fruit, vegetables, good cheese, and nothing that is marketed to young kids are the best bets. A jar of olives and a few bar staples shows you are always ready to entertain.
- Even simple things like microwave popcorn seem gourmet with a drizzle of truffle oil and a sprinkle of sea salt. Employing simple upgrades to even the most basic snacks will show her you are always going above and beyond.
- Taking a cooking class together is a fun way to bond and learn a new skill together. Couples that learn new skills together have increased intimacy. Choose a class that is featuring a dish you are already familiar with to show off your talents and also have the opportunity to lean in close while assisting her.
- Invest in a quality grill and learn how to make an amazing burger. Grilling is stereotypically the manliest form of cooking and your lady will enjoy watching you sweat over the grill to make her a fabulous meal. Also, grilling lends itself to many entertaining ideas, and becoming a great host is another trademark of a cultured gentleman. Burgers can go from backyard fare to gourmet with a specialty bun, upscale cheese, fresh toppings, or simply a secret spice.
- Plan a trip or weekend getaway to a winery. Women will find this incredibly romantic and cultured of you.
Old clichés may no longer hold true, and in fact have actually flipped over. Real men cook – and some of us do it well, too. The way to win over a modern woman is by impressing her in the kitchen so that, maybe, just maybe, she will invite you into her heart as well.
Who could need any more motivation than that?
About the Author:
Cover image by Matito via Flickr.