Top 5 Reasons to Date a Single Mom

You know here at Memoirs of a Single Dad we’re obviously single-parent friendly. Actually, we’re all-parent friendly because we know just how challenging it can be to be a parent! We want you to know that we’ve got your back as a single parent, so it only seemed natural for us to brag about how awesome single moms are in our latest reasons to date a single mom post. When you’re juggling all of life’s complexities and you add dating to the mix – woah, watch out. It can be a huge challenge for even the most capable of us.

But it’s not impossible and we can be successful as single parents and as singles.

Of course, as a single parent and writer, I feel that it’s my job to inform the general populous about the awesome side to dating single parents. There are some distinct advantages to dating us, you know, so I’ve come up with a Top Five list – the Top 5 Reasons to Date a Single Mom for the fellas. Live ‘em. Learn ‘em. Don’t be afraid to date a single mom. I fell in love with one, after all!

51p4xf 3aTL single parent popular posts featured dating tips dating  Top 5 Reasons to Date a Single Mom1. Single moms are strong, independent and organized. They have to be: when they’re not making sure the kids have their lunches, homework and sports equipment ready for school the next day, they’re holding down jobs, sorting out the car, dealing with house maintenance, or planning a weekend sleepover. You go, single mom.

2. Single moms are sexy.

They know what they want, and what they don’t, and they won’t be afraid to tell you. They’ve gone way past the “party girl” stage and are ready to commit to the long-term. You’ll always know where you are with them.

3. Single moms are appreciative.

They’ll be charmed by small gestures and be thrilled by an evening in adult company, with grown-up conversation. They know what the important things in life are, and they’re less likely to be impressed with flashiness and more likely to be impressed by the things that matter, like kindness and sincerity.

4. Single moms have the world’s best sense of humor.

You can’t be around kids for very long without laughing at some of their antics or the comments they come out with. Single moms will probably even laugh at your jokes.

5. Single moms are sincere.

No loving mom would compromise the happiness of her children, so she’s paying you a huge compliment by simply accepting your invitation to date. That means she likes you for who you genuinely are – a great foundation for a long-lasting, loving relationship.

And just in case you need a 6th reason – single moms are also great at dishing up comfort food!

Do you have any reasons you’d include as well? If so, be sure to leave them in the comments below!

Cover photo by Isobel T via Flickr.

Related Posts

Comments

1. says

Single moms are the best. I have been divorced and a single dad for almost 5 years and I have had 1 requirement for dating. They had to be a single mom because they are the only one that understands the demands of being a parent. Parenting is tough enough wneh you add dating to it.

2. Jessica says

I just want to say thank you for this post! How nice it is to hear that Single moms are wanted, not on the number one spot of the undesirable list. I love your blog! It so nice to hear things coming from the “other side”. I hope to one day meet someone who is not turned off by the fact that I am a single mom. :)

• says

I may be biased, but I ended up having a preference to dating single moms. I just think other parents better understood all that’s required when you’re an active, involved parent and having that instant connection made a lot of other aspects of the relationship easier.

3. says

4. says

Daniel,

I must say that your articles is uplifting but a bit generalized. As a single dad myself, I dated quite a few single moms, but ultimately selected a woman that had never been married or had children. But don’t get me wrong. There are plenty of great single moms out there. There are also plenty of other great woman who aren’t single moms. I think it really comes down to who is a better match for you, regardless of any sort of status. I think your real goal of encouraging men to date single moms is right on.

5. Esmeralda says

I just read your article on Solatina a blog for single latina mothers…. I absolutely loved it. So many are so scared to even touch a single parent with a 10 foot pole. I am in a place in my life where I actually have decided not to date, raise my kids and focus on my career and continuing my education. However, I am sure one day it will change….we are creatures of comfort and companionship…. nobody wants to be alone forever. It is nice to know that not all think that single parents are a disease ;) Thank you for sharing your thoughts on this….it is nice to see and hear the male perspective

• says

Oh Esmeralda – you are such a breath of fresh air. Thank you for sharing your thoughts on the article. I couldn’t agree more. Single parents (myself included) tend to get easily discouraged because of the unfair stigma in the dating world. I don’t blame you at all for taking a break and focusing your energy elsewhere. Our hope is that love comes when it’s meant to, right?

• Esmeralda says

It will come only when it truly is meant to come. I have fallen into the trap of believing that lust was love and have been caught up in a relationship that I knew was not a good one. Only to stay because a child was in the middle. Wrong move. Dating is hard period. Dating with children is almost impossible. It can be done but it is so hard to find a middle ground. It was hard to have a healthty balance of family, me time, school, work, sports, music and dating…. and my rules that came along with it (forget it). It was hard for men to understand why I wanted to keep my dating life private and not just bring anyone around my children. Not many liked this and had other thoughts of why is was “hiding” them. Basically insensitive to my children’s emotional growth and development. I know that for now my one true focus is to become stronger as a woman, mother and citizen of my community. If and when, love decides to slap me in the face (which we all kmow we want ) It will only be with someone who is willing to be ok with my rules reagrding my children, home and boundaries. Mutual respect for my progress in my career and education. So I guess, after a long rant of why or why not…my answer to your question is YES….I want love in my life. A life partner, confidant, supporter and shoulder to cry on. But only when the time is right.
        How do you know when it is? When did you realize you were ready to take that leap? :) Oh the things that keep us up at night

6. says

You know Daniel, when I became a 24/7 SAHD I sought and only dated single moms. I figured they’d be the only women that “might” understand what I was going through given my boys were young, with me ALL the time, and that their mother had abandoned them.

All of that was true, but ironically I ended up marrying a divorcee with NO kids. But, I’m getting ahead of myself.

I did date plenty of single moms and had a couple/three relationships with them. In one case, I thought it might get more serious but she dumped me before we got there. In all cases, it was complicated given the issues they had with their kids and ex’s.

Nonetheless, I did continue to set my sights there. I met my current wife online and I don’t remember how she got through my screening process given that she had no kids. All I can say, is that it couldn’t have worked out better for me and my kids. MUCH less complicated…

• says

I know what you mean, Bruce. I started off my dating ‘career’ with a clean slate but gradually my dating tastes changed and I became more and more picky … errr, I mean selective as the years went on. In some respects JenB shouldn’t have made it past my screening process either but she did.

Many thanks for all of your great comments!

Tell Us What You Think